Are purpose and profit substitutes or complementary? What are the technological, societal and market forces that are reshaping this relationship? What can we all do to reshape the relationship between purpose and profit as entrepreneurs, managers, consumers, employees and investors? Backed by cutting-edge research, Purpose and Profit provides answers to these fundamental questions that are increasingly defining the competitiveness of businesses all around the world. Based on more than a decade of field and archival research, Harvard Business School Professor George Serafeim takes readers through a journey to understand:
- How and why environmental and social issues are becoming increasingly relevant for businesses all around the world;
- The ways that companies can design and implement a strategy that has more positive impact;
- The six archetypes of value creation enabled by these new trends;
- The role of investors in supporting companies by recognizing the value of strategic management of material ESG issues; and
- How we can all look at our choices and our careers through the lens of these societal trends to drive impact in our lives and for our organizations.