Wednesday, January 19, 2022 | 12:00 PM to Wednesday, March 9, 2022 1:30 PM
Join the Museum, in partnership with the New York Public Library’s Thomas Yoseloff Business Center, for a free eight-part series on Retirement Planning. These programs are designed to introduce you to the many possible sources of retirement income and resources, including social security; Medicare; pension options including 401(k)s, individual retirement accounts and annuities; as well as the complex issues faced when planning for loved ones with wills and/or trusts. The series aims to provide participants with the information needed to help them secure their finances for the future.
The speakers include professionals from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Social Security Administration, the Health Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program, the U.S. Department of Labor (EBSA) and an Elder Law attorney to guide you through the process.
The series kicks off on Wednesday, January 19, at noon and continues every Wednesday at noon through March 9. Each program builds on the knowledge gained from the previous session! Register for each program separately by going to:
- January 19: The Importance of Retirement Planning Gerri Walsh reviews the importance of compound interest and the many tax-deferred opportunities that help individuals plan for a comfortable and stress-free retirement.
- January 26:Understanding Your Social Security Benefits Vincent Scocozza reviews when you are eligible to receive retirement benefits, how early retirement affects your benefits, the requirements for spousal benefits, survivors benefits, and when you should file for Medicare.
- February 2: Medicare 2022 Join us for an overview of the Medicare program and your coverage options, including Medigap/Medicare Supplement insurance, Medicare Advantage/Medicare Health Plans, and Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage.
- February 9: What You Should Know About Your Retirement Plan Learn about different types of retirement plans, including defined benefit plans, and defined contribution plans such as 401k plans.
- February 16: Individual IRAs & Employer-Sponsored IRA Plans: What You Should Know Learn how to establish your own IRA , the different types of IRAs available to you e.g. Roth, Traditional, Rollover, and how to determine which best suits your retirement objectives.
- February 23: Annuities Learn about the general characteristics of each type of annuity and get tips and questions to ask before you buy.
- March 2: Trust in Your Trust (Part 1): Wills & Trusts 101 Learn the differences and advantages of both Wills and Trusts.
- March 9: Trust in Your Trust (Part 2): Wills & Trusts 102 Learn about the different types and purposes of trusts as well as the important documentation for long-term care planning.